Tuesday, December 1, 2009

HO...HO...HO

Last evening as we began the tumultuous process of decking our halls, we ran across our collection of Santa hats. We of course immediately donned our gay apparel and began dashing through the house chanting all the carols we could remember. As the night came to a close, even the most mundane acts of bedtime took on a Santa theme. HO, HO, HO, while brushing teeth, hats on while reading stories, Christmas smiles while saying prayers. The entire evening was lost within the spirit of the big guy.

I remember from childhood, mother chasing my sister and I through the house. We would giggle and scream as we peeked around the corners attempting to avoid collision. If we were watching a TV movie we would jump up during the commercial breaks to get our fix of fun or as mom would announce our exercise for the night. I find myself doing the same with my children. There is always time to be silly when there are children in the house. Always time to laugh and enjoy.

This morning as the kids emerged from their sleepy rooms they both had on their Santa hats. Breakfast and cartoons where lifted slightly higher by the magic of Christmas this morning. My two little Santas wearily surrendered their hats just before time for school. Today is December the 1st I tell them. There are many more days of Christmas to come. We’ll play Santa again tonight.

For these times of Joy and for the remembrance of past graces, I am thankful.

No comments:

Post a Comment