Thursday, December 3, 2009

Small Comforts

Crawling into bed, snuggling under the covers, the cool smooth feel of the sheets, the warm security of a roof over my head deflecting the rain, the surrounding walls to block the wind, indoor plumbing, hot water beating down from the showerhead begging me to wake up, a microwave to reheat yesterday’s coffee, switches on the wall that bring light to my world whenever I want…

For these things I am thankful.

During a conversation last evening the idea of God being fair arose. I am confident he is not. Is it fair that I have a bed, a shower, a microwave…when there are folks all over the world that do not have these comforts? Why do I deserve a beautiful wife and three wonderful children, when there are great people all around that wish for the same but somehow fall short? Why was I born to a loving family? Why was I born in America? Why was I born in the 20th century? I do not deserve any of the lavish blessings that flow from above. But I am very thankful for them.

Some may say, “Well that’s life, that’s not God.” Are God and Life not synonymous?

“For In Him we live and move and have our being.”

“Every good and perfect gift is from above…”

Reguardless of your position, “Give thanks to the LORD, for he is good.”

No comments:

Post a Comment