Monday, December 7, 2009

Burst into Dance

Found within magnificent prose of awe and thanks there is a gem. A gem for which I am thankful.

Mary’s Song - The prayer of Mary, found in the gospel of Luke, after her encounter with Elizabeth, mother of John the Baptist. What a wonderful expression of joy and thanks found deep within the mother of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.

However, what I am thankful for today is a particular translation of the opening line, namely the following:

I'm bursting with God-news;
I'm dancing the song of my Savior God
(Message)
The more traditionally accepted translations read:

My soul doth magnify the Lord,
and my spirit hath rejoiced in God my Saviour.
(KJV)

My soul glorifies the Lord
and my spirit rejoices in God my Savior
(NIV)

My soul exalts the Lord,
and my spirit has rejoiced in God my Savior
(NAS)
But, to relate to Mary, as best we can, at least when attempting to understand emotion, we can magnify, we can glorify, we can exalt. But, how much more to the point, do we simply, “Burst”. How can one from our culture truly and without pretense dissect the heart felt meaning of antiquated language like magnify, glorify, or exalt. But bursting, we can wrap our minds around bursting.

To Burst: not able to hold or control, to break apart into pieces, to be filled to the breaking point, to have excess emerge suddenly.

We can see that, we can understand that, we have felt that, we have tasted the sweetness of such a passion that simply cannot be held.

Thanks Eugene for allowing the word “Burst” to take on a holy interpretation.

Further, and maybe even moreso, I am grateful for the phrase.

“I’m dancing the song of my Savior.”
(Message)
Not dancing with my savior, not dancing to the song that my savior likes, not dancing for the savior, but in fact “Dancing the song of my Savior”.

There seems to be a connection, a bond, a relationship - so powerful that not only does she magnify, glorify, or exalt, but she becomes a part of the very expression of God. The two become one, a marriage, a kiss, a dance. Such mystery cannot be found in words like, rejoice. Maybe the mystery cannot be found in words or analysis at all. Instead it must be acted out. There must be motion, there must be art, there must be inhibition – the type that cannot be contained, the kind that simply bursts forth.

So for today: thank you, God, for allowing us to join in your dance.

No comments:

Post a Comment